Jointly prepared by PTA representatives and School Management
DEFINATION & AIM OF THE PTA
Parent Teachers Association (PTA) is a non-profit, non-political and non-sectarian organisation made up of school staff and parents which work to support the school in a wide variety of ways. The function of PTA is not only to help/support the School in the development of students but also to provide help/support in the improvement and development of the School.
DEFINITION OF KEYWORDS
Association: All Parents,Teachers and employees of the Orchid School.
Members: Any/All individuals who have been accepted and admitted by the Association. An under the heading “Cessation of explanation of 'withdrawal of membership' is given Membership” below.
Governing Council: in which the management of the Association is vested i.e. Elected parents, appointed teacher representative, Secretary, Director chosen by the School.
We desire to sustain the promotion and continuity of sound, meaningful and qualitative education for the students of TOS, we, the parents/guardians and teachers of the students hereby jointly and severely agree to constitute ourselves into an organization whose membership shall embrace all parents, guardians, and teachers of registered pupils in TOS.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aims and objectives of the association shall be:
- To provide the platform for parents, guardians, and teachers of students of TOS to meet, exchange, deeply analyze issues, make recommendations and effectively pursue the implementation of decisions on matters affecting education / learning in TOS with appropriate agencies.
- To foster mutual understanding, harmonious relationship and cooperation among parents, guardians, and teachers in the fulfillment of their common aim, the welfare of the school and the pupils/students therein.
- To make for a healthy and sympathetic understanding of the education policies and programs of the school and thus influence the same to create a suitable climate for the reception of the same.
MEMBERSHIP OF PTA, QUALIFICATION
Membership of the association shall be open to:
- Parents / guardians whose children or wards attend school in TOS. Such participation shall be non-political and non-religious.
- Any person who is a member of the teaching staff of TOS.
- Vice-Chairman –Nominated from PTA
- Secretary –Principal
- Executive Committee Members -2 lead PTA members from Previous PTA, 8 new elected Parent members, 3 TOS staff nominated by TOS management.
GUIDELINES AND RULES OF CONDUCT COMMITTEE
- Members, will at all times, during its deliberation and actions, work with proper conduct and respect to one another and to the School.
- Each member must attend general meetings unless a member has a sound reason that will hinder him.
- Governing Council will not concern themselves in individual /personnel matters.
Members shall be immediately terminated on the following grounds:
- If a member is found acting prejudicially to the interest and working of the School and/or towards other members. Sufficient opportunity will be given to the member to submit an explanation. Final decision will be made by the School.
- Any office holder of the association who goes into or intends to or is invited to or elected into partisan politics shall resign his PTA post or be requested to resign and vacate his post. Under no circumstances shall anyone involve the association into partisan politics.
If a member's child/children leave(s) the school.
- If a member's employment at school is terminated.
- The school shall select the Chairman, Secretary and Teacher representatives of the PTA. Vice Chairman can be nominated from the elected representatives. Principal is the ex- officio Secretary by her role and position.
- The Executive Committee shall be elected by lottery system method if more than one parent representative volunteers from each level. . One representative for each level – class 1 to 8 shall be elected . The election will be held at Annual General Meeting and shall hold office for one year.
- The Previous Executive Committee shall select two lead parent representatives in the Council to remain on the post for the new year.
- A list of parents per Class level who stand for the elections, shall be compiled and kept for future use, in case of a resignation or termination of an elected parent.
- If an elected parent tenders his resignation in writing to The Orchid School, his children leave the school or are terminated, then a new member will be selected from those who stood in the PTA AGM via lottery system. OR Any vacancy occurring in the executive committee of the association before another election may be filled by a special meeting provided that the chairman on the advice of the executive members may appoint any member to fill such a vacant post until a substantive holder is elected.
- Parents will be notified via circular of elected members of the Governing Council for the PTA. Contact details and circular will be posted on the TOS website under PTA.
- In the event of any officer vacating his office before or due to another election, he shall immediately hand over the properties of the association to the chairman or any of the executive council members. The association shall be in order to seek police assistance, where such vacating officer refuses to hand over the properties.
THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The Executive committee will meet when necessary but, at least, twice per term.
- The committee meetings are not open for other members. However, members may refer any relevant matter of their interest through the Secretary of the Association or through the Class Parent Volunteer, for discussions at these meetings.
- Decisions will be made by majority vote process.
- All committee members have equal voting rights, with the exception of the Chair, who has an additional casting vote, should this be needed.
- Six members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum at the meetings of the Council. Without a quorum, no business shall be transacted.
- An elected member of the Committee shall cease to be a member of the Committee if the member fails to attend 3 consecutive meetings of the committee.
- If any vacancy occurs in the Committee the continuing Members shall then appoint, by lottery system, a member from the list compiled at the AGM Meeting.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO
- Elected parents will communicate relevant activities and current issues of the School to the parents at large via circular or post it on the TOS Website.
- Help School in any events outside and beyond standard School functions such as: organizing intra school quiz competitions, science fair, community outreach, teacher appreciation event etc.
- Work with the Parent Volunteer System to plan and provide above activities and class room activities that support lesson plans given to the students.
- Provide an "ear" to the issues concerning the parent body at large and take it up with School management for satisfactory resolution.
- Solicit new ideas and suggestions from the parent body to help enhance the overall and all round education experience and work with TOS for review and implementation of the same.
- Build a sense of community at school through increased and sustained parental participation and involvement in school events.
- Foster a relationship between parents, teachers, school management and Board of Trustees.
CHANGE IN RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Rules and regulations / roles and responsibilities will be constantly evolving and subject to review and changes based on the changing needs of Children, Parent, The School and the Teachers.
- Any changes in the Rules and Regulations must be first approved and the committee’s meeting and thereafter at a General Body Meeting provided that previous notice was given in writing and sent to all the members. Those present for the said meeting can approve of the said changes by a simple majority, subject to the Chairman's casting vote, in the event of any disagreement.