TOS – DONNER (GOTLAND) Student and Teacher Exchange Program APRIL 2012
In April 2012, 18 TOS students of Grade 10 accompanied by 3 teachers will visit Gotland.Objectives Of This Exchange
The Preparations So Far..............
- Experience a new culture, the traditions and value system, make friends across borders
- See and study the rich heritage sites of Gotland’s medieval town, and also understand the issues concerning conservation
- Draw parallel to the sites in India
- Do hands on programme at Donner’s media studies department
- Enjoy the bounties of nature and understand the innate commitment of the citizens on this island to preserve it in its totality
- There was a detailed presentation regarding the exchange by the Director Ms. Lakshmi Kumar and Training & Study Visits Coordinator Ms. Baishaki Bapat for IXth grade parents.
- Interested candidates were asked to give their names.
- The response was over whelming.
- Soon the students were chosen through a lottery.
- There was an orientation for the final group by Lakshmi and also by the Swedish faculty who were here on an exchange program with their students.
- The tickets have been booked and further travel plans are in progress.
- The students have also been given a task for the upcoming visit.
Knowledge - History, Archeology, Ecology impact, tourism, economy, civics, language, using appropriate technology Skills focus: Information selection ( sieving), presentation skills, technical skills used, making, validating choice, language skills, short, effective presentation of big idea ( in small PPT)
- Each student has been allotted an Indian State (by lottery).
- They have to choose one heritage site of their choice, make a PPT on the following pointers.
- Short intro note on the state,
- Its location,
- List of famous heritage sites, Student’s choice,
- Its importance,
- Historic context,
- Any here says, stories,
- Current status,
- Efforts to conserve - local organisation, Government ( regulations from Municipal corporation, laws regarding alteration, occupancy) , NGO efforts, National level (ASI), International efforts (UNESCO declaration)
- Being able to Connect perspectives from History, Economy, Politics (States fight for inclusion...) Conservation at local, national and global level.
- Being able to make and present a PPT that will be connected to the topic, make sense and relevance to the audience.
- Being able to make a presentation with confidence to audiences that are not very familiar to the presenter.
- Being able to share this pool of knowledge with other 10th graders, parents, teachers of TOS (as a practice for presentation) and influencing the way people think about heritage sites.
Parents (pre-departure seminar) Donner students and other secondary school students in Visby.Time frame:
Click here For More Images
- The students have worked on the project during the Christmas vacation.
- The group has been divided into a subgroup of 6 each and teachers accompanying them have been given a group to mentor and guide.
- Early April they will have presentations for their parents and fellow classmates.